In over thirty-five years of practice, Doug has represented banks and businesses of all kinds, from international mining companies, airlines, and commercial banks to high tech start-ups and professional service firms. Since 1994, he has focused his practice on the health care industry, supporting medical professionals in matters of regulatory compliance (including Medicare “incident to” billing, Stark, Anti-Kickback, and HIPAA), licensure, professional employment, group organization and management, and strategic alignment with hospital systems, health maintenance organizations, and accountable care organizations. He has advised “from concept to commissioning” in the development of radiation treatment centers, endoscopy centers, imaging centers, home health and hospice service providers, recovery care centers, cardiac catheterization laboratories, and ambulatory surgery centers. He has drafted and reviewed hundreds of physician employment and independent contractor agreements, and drafted, defended, and defeated covenants intended to restrain the ability of a physician to practice in competition with a former employer. He has advised medical billing services, credentialing services, and practice management services. He is an experienced, value-adding, and cost-effective advisor for the business of medicine. More
- Complex, hi-dollar commercial finance transactions, including syndications
- Thirteen years of healthcare management experience as Executive Director of Sun Medical Management, LLC.
- Extensive experience in successful dispute resolution through litigation and alternative means
- In-depth experience in project development and finance in the healthcare industry, including market feasibility analysis, site selection and acquisition, design contracting, construction contracting, equipment acquisition, project financing, licensure, and commissioning.
- "I wanted to thank you and Jeffrey [Silence] for so ably representing me at yesterday's hearing. Although the outcome is obviously not guaranteed, it was the first time in this long ordeal that I felt really good about my situation. Overall, it was a very positive experience."
-Robert Y., M.D.
- "All your comments and recommendations were very easy to follow. I made adjustments as you had recommended. It took a little amount of time, but the indemnification section is gone! I wanted to thank you for your work and helping me through this process." - Sylvia Nguyen, MD
- "Doug helped us complete a hospital joint venture, with ownership of equipment by the doctors leased to 2 different groups, and the leasing of the space from a different entity, also to 2 different parties. The complexity was overwhelming at times but the details were crucial to maintain Stark Compliance. Doug was very practical and straight forward which helped the teams of attorneys get to the conclusion of the deal. By the time it was finished, it was clear who really understood the process and its ramifications. He is the one that you want on your side."
Curtis Mack, M.D.
- "Doug Guffey represented me in the sale of my ownership in a medical practice I founded, including stock redemption, resolution of co-ownership in related entities, and sale of equipment and real estate. Mr. Guffey’s experience and negotiating skills significantly contributed to reaching a successful outcome in a timely manner, while achieving agreement on all substantive issues. I believe Mr. Guffey is a highly qualified and seasoned lawyer, who communicates well with his clients and works diligently on their behalf. I recommend him without reservation."
Clarke Lambe, MD
- "I have known Doug Guffey for more than ten years, and have worked with him on both legal and business matters. I have found Doug to be very keen on the business aspects as well as the legal aspects of many situations. I have continued to be very pleased with his depth and breadth of knowledge. I know Doug to be a man of impeccable integrity and a fair man when it comes time to settle up. I would highly recommend him and would be happy to speak further to anyone considering Doug and his firm's services."
Michael J. O’Malley
Point Financial, Inc.