Representing clients for over three decades, Kraig has a unique blend of employment, healthcare and first amendment law expertise. He has represented both employers and employees in all manners of employment law disputes ranging from FMLA to wrongful termination; from retaliation to discrimination. Additionally, he counsels employers regarding compliance with wage & hour laws, EEOC, DOL and other regulatory requirements.
Kraig has represented health care professionals in both contractual and employment issues as well as licensure and disciplinary hearings before regulatory boards. He has assisted hundreds of health care professionals obtain, maintain and defend their professional livelihood. His first amendment law expertise spans from defamation to media relations. He has helped companies with on-line reputation management and defended individuals from media attacks.
- Stopping a runaway media (defamation): Convinced Arizona Supreme Court that Arizona's media retraction statute is unconstitutional (Boswell v. PNI); then establish the privacy standards that are applicable to Arizona public officials (Godbehere v PNI). Helped keep the media, and others, honest by suing often and by receiving many substantial verdicts in defamation trials. (e.g., Dombey v. PNI and Chilton v. CBD)
- Protecting the rights of those who can't (employment): Forced a city to hire an employee with history of cancer; legally compelled another to reinstate an employee who had been wrongly terminated; successfully sued numerous employers for discrimination, harassment, retaliation and civil rights violations. Kraig has also convinced many employees to not make claims against employers.
- Helping health care practitioners through sticky issues (health care): He has assisted dozens of professionals impaired by drugs and alcohol into recovery and helped them manage a variety of legal challenges facing them during the disciplinary process. He has represented well over 150 physicians and numerous other healthcare professionals in front of their licensing boards and helped many healthcare professionals when facing malpracitce or patient issues.
- Healthcare: Primarily represents "professionals in trouble." Kraig has represented hundreds of healthcare professionals in front of licensing boards, primarily M.D.s, but also D.O.s, D.C.s, nurses, physical therapists, homeopaths, naturopaths, and others. He also assists with other healthcare issues from medical malpractice to peer review; from regulatory issues to insurance coverage and from best practices to managed care issues.
- Employment: Primarily represents employees and small to mid-size employers. Kraig has litigated numerous employment cases including discrimination, wrongful discharge, sexual harassment, whistle blowing, and wage and hour claims. He is responsible for many noteworthy reported employment decisions and he sees himself as a protector of the "little guy."
- First Amendment: Kraig has brought suit against most of the major media in the state of Arizona and is responsible for many of the significant defamation decisions issued from Arizona Courts in the last twenty years. He has pursued the national media on occasion. He also counsels clients on pre-publication review, insurance coverage, and internet and technology issues.
- Complex Litigation practice: He has substantial experience covering a broad range of issues including: racketeering claims, insurance coverage, contracts and personal injury cases.
Kraig has been listed in Woodward & White's publication, "Best Lawyers in America," in three different areas, Healthcare, Employment, and First Amendment law (Only around 850 Arizona lawyers are listed in that publication and few are listed more than once.)
Kraig is often called upon to speak about current topics on employment law, healthcare law, defamation and litigation
- Board Member, Arizona Employment Lawyers Association
- Past President and former Board Member, Arizona Association of Healthcare Lawyers
- Disciplinary Officer, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, State Bar of Arizona, Membership Assistance Committee
- Member, Arizona Medical Association, Public Health Committee
- Member, State Bar of Arizona, Jury Instruction Committee
- Member, church choir
- Frequent speaker on First Amendment, health care law and employment law
- Past member, State Bar of Arizona, Board of Governors
"I was very fortunate to have been referred to Kraig Marton's office after my employment was terminated. Since this was my first time seeking legal advice, I was entering uncharted territory; but Kraig, and his team made me feel extremely comfortable and the service I received was exceptional. What I found most compelling is how Kraig takes a personal interest in his clients and how he is candid in his evaluation of the merits of one's case. Not only did he brilliantly pursue my claim, he also was able to secure a higher severance package than I ever expected! Kraig's exceptional negotiation skills and legal aptitude prove to be a winning combination. I hold Kraig and his team in high esteem-they are 'best in class'." - Client, R.S.R.